Monday, October 18, 2010

WEEK TWO, SALAD ONE....COBB!
We are now officially into week two of eating salad every night for dinner.  I'm actually not sick of eating salad at all and I'm kind of looking forward to the rest of the week.  My thoughts today were that I might potentially try out a two week period of eating only vegetarian meals for dinner.  Does anyone actually know if statistically speaking vegetarians end up having better health???  
I found some really great vegetarian entrees in the LCBO magazine that I might try out.  Speaking of LCBO and it's magazine, has that some how been taken off the press???  I haven't seen one in a very long time and it is quite disappointing.  I love the recipes out of it and always look forward to the new one coming out.  
Anyways, back to salad....tonight's salad was probably one of my favorites out of all of them so far.  It was a light cobb salad with a really great dressing.  Here is the recipe...I did substitute a few of the ingredients.  I am NOT  a fan of blue cheese, I find it quite repulsing.  So I used an applewood smoked cheddar, my favorite cheese.  I also stupidly forgot that the avocado that I had bought was for that salad and used it making guac this weekend.  So simply there was no avocado.

Ingredients:
- 1/2 head of romaine, coarsely chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped or sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 head of Boston lettuce (or Iceberg), coarsely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, separated, whites and yolks finely chopped
- 5 slices of extra lean turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into small pieces
- 6 oz chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
Dressing
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
Directions:
Combine chopped lettuce in a large salad bowl.
Arrange the chicken, bacon, tomato, egg and avocado over the greens.
Whisk vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the oil in a slow stream, whisking until it is emulsified. Serve separately.



5 comments:

  1. I think you are eating far too much salad. All this salad is not good for a skinny man like Marty. Marty needs a high-caloric intake, otherwise he will disappear.

    Also, blue cheese is gross, so it's good you switched it up. I'm always ordering cobb salads and forgetting about the blue cheese, so I end up not liking it. But I get confused the next time I order one - "Is cobb the one with the blue cheese?" - and I order it anyways and get disappointed.

    Seriously, though - stop feeding Marty salads. Going vegetarian will compound his skinniness problems and then he won't be able to play baseball or pick up Willow. It's not right and I won't stand for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very funny Jesse!! Please stop picking on my baby boy..I'd rather have him skinny and healthy LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I think he looks great just the way he is...with a little bit of meat on his bones. You don't see all the cake pops that boy eats when no one else is around. He needs to eat salad too. Plus we are trying to get in the habit of eating healthy to set a good example for wee Willow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving all these salads (they all look yummy) but I'm looking forward to the Steak and Potatoes week! Yum-Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're not really steak and potatoes kind of people to be honest. There's the odd time where I mention roasting a chicken and having a comfort food kind of Sunday and Marty turns up his nose. I grew up with wayyy too much meat and potatoes in my life. I needed a little bit of culture to introduce some spice and flavor in my life. However glad everyone is enjoying the salads. It's too bad you couldn't all taste them as well. I do my best to represent how delicious they truly are by there presentation.

    ReplyDelete